Tuesday, January 30, 2018

January 22, 2018 Another Week in the E-Tuna life!

Snow!
 This week I had one of the greatest contacts I've had for quite some time. As we were walking down the street I spotted a Swedish guy about our age and immediately went to talk to him. He was apparently listening to music, so as he pulled his earbuds out I asked him what he was listening to. He took a quick glance at my name tag, laughed a bit, and then admitted that he was listening to "Highway to Hell". We had a pretty good laugh about that, but then somehow effectively had a really good conversation and basically taught him the Restoration on the street until he had to catch his bus.


We got quite a bit of snow this week which led to some really good service opportunities, as well as 
Snow shoveling service
the need for Elder Cotton to buy new shoes today. Here in Sweden they don't use salt as ice melt, instead they spread gravel on top of the snow and ice to add traction. (I just can't wait to see how they clean it all up in the spring, but apparently they have a really good system) ​​This idea may seem good and all, but it definitely does a number on the shoes... Elder Cotton's two pairs of shoes have reached the end of their lives, and with snow and slush I guess he decided it's probably more comfortable to not have holes in the bottom of his shoes that let the water in...


We had the opportunity to go to a member, Annika's, house this week for dinner. When we walked in, she turned to me and said, "So you met Magnus on the bus this week!" I immediately started racking my brain trying to remember a Magnus, because I have talked to a lot of people on the bus this week. I had to admit that I couldn't remember a Magnus, and then she explained that Magnus was a good friend of hers and that he had told her about how we met on the bus and had a really nice conversation that left a really good impression on him. After a few minutes I remembered who he was, and I realized that while we had a good conversation, I didn't have the chance to share very much about the gospel before he had to get off the bus. I can't even begin to describe how many contacts I have had just like that, and all you hope is that you have planted a good seed. I am so grateful that the Lord would show me that my efforts do indeed have a greater impact than I understand by placing him in my path and guiding him to say something to Annika about our encounter. Because of the seed that was planted, we now look forward to reaching out to him through Annika, and we hope to have the opportunity to teach him.


On Saturday we took Mekonen, a member, tracting with us by suggestion of the Stake President. Mekonen has expressed to both us and President Karlsson that he wants to serve as a missionary, and before he was a member of our church he actually went door to door teaching about Christ back in Ethiopia... While he is unable to be a full-time missionary right now, we decided to teach him how to tract and then invited him to come with us on Saturday. Despite the difficulty he has with the language, I was blown away by how well he did, and the love he had for the people. His love and sincerity was absolutely amazing, and it was well rewarded by an old Finnish lady who invited us in and let us share our message.


What a cool opportunity it was to watch the announcement of President Russel M. Nelson as the Lord's newly called prophet on the Earth. I cannot express the gratitude I feel that we have living prophets and apostles to guide us today, and I testify that they are truly called of God. As we follow their counsel, we can receive the answers and joy we seek after.


Äldste Sirrine
Swedish ice melt substitute: gravel