Saturday, February 24, 2018

February 19, 2018 Välkommen till Göteborg!

On the train
What a week!

With Äldste Harden outside the chapel
Normally a 3.5 hour train ride to a new city might not sound all to exciting (especially as a missionary when you don't have a whole lot to do), but I loved it. Sweden must be the most beautiful land in the world, and to get to see so much of it from the train was an incredible blessing. As I arrived in Göteborg, I was blown away by the size and beauty of the city. Coming from a city as small as Eskilstuna to Sweden's second largest city is quite the change, and I still haven't stopped looking around in amazement. As the train arrived, I received an incredible feeling of love, happiness, and optimism, that truly confirmed to me that this is the place the Lord would have me be.


My new companion is Elder Harden, who comes from Salt Lake, and has been out a year and a half now.
Interestingly enough, his mom actually comes from Sweden, although he didn't know any Swedish before he came... I feel incredibly blessed to be with such an experienced missionary (he just finished serving as a zone leader in Northern Sweden) who is incredibly dedicated and diligent, and I can't tell you how much I love him. With his desire to work hard, we started running as soon as we met each other, and haven't slowed down a bit. With the Lord's guidance, we have set high goals for the work here Göteborg, and I can't wait to see what miracles the Lord will work as we move forward together in faith.

As said before, Göteborg is Sweden's second largest city, and our area covers the whole thing. While most missionaries serve in smaller towns outside the big cities, we get to be smack in the middle of downtown, and I absolutely love it. Sometimes it can seem a little overwhelming to think that the only missionaries for the whole city are us and a companionship of sisters, but it's exciting to have so many people to talk to (sometimes it felt like I just about knew everybody in Eskilstuna) and to always have so much going on. Besides that, Göteborg is absolutely beautiful, and the ward here has around 120 active members which gives us a lot to work with as well! Elder Harden and I are also "YSA" missionaries (the only YSA missionaries in Sweden) which means that along with a senior missionary couple, the Kelleys, we get to help with YSA activities and serve in the YSA center in Göteborg (There are only two YSA centers in Sweden, one is in Stockholm and the other is here.) I am so excited to be in this area, and all the opportunities that lie ahead of us. When we had transfer calls and the zone leaders told me that I would be leaving Eskilstuna to go to Göteborg, they told me that I had hit the jackpot, and I couldn't agree more.

Äldste Sirrine


Äldste Harden in the woods and snow



Arrival in Göteborg

Semlor! This is a super Swedish dessert. The tradition is that back
in the old days they would make semlor at the start of the 40 fast leading
up to Easter as a way to use all the dairy and fat in the house so it wouldn't go bad.
What does that tell you about their nutritional value? I don't really want to know....
Now it has turned into a national Holiday called "Fat Tuesday",
which is the second Tuesday of February, and everybody has semlor.