Wednesday, April 10, 2019

April 8, 2019 And thus my time in Täby comes to an end

The Vaxholm fortress, we visited today for P-day

More in Vaxholm
Well, just like that my time in Täby is over. It honestly feels like it's been about two weeks since I got here. Sometimes time on the mission is weird, but the ward was just as surprised as we were when they found out our six week was already over, so I guess it's not just me.

I'll now be transferring to Karlstad, which if translated directly to English comes out as "Karl City". That's Sweden for you... Karlstad is one of the most isolated areas in the mission. It will just be my companion and I, the next closes missionaries in the district being almost 3 hours away. The branch consists of about 20 members that come each week, and I'll be companions with Elder Olson! He replaced me and was trained by my companion Elder Radford in Stockholm, so I look forward to hearing about his experience in an area that I absolutely love. I'll definitely miss living in the office with five other elders and working here in Stockholm, but I can't wait to be in Karlstad!

General Conference was incredibly uplifting and inspiring. There are certainly a few things I know I need to work on, and I'm grateful for a living prophet and apostles who can give us the direction needed in a world of changing values. I have come to learn for myself that following their counsel brings us closer to, and helps us become more like our Savior Jesus Christ.

We were able to watch a couple sessions at members homes, and we watched the Sunday morning session (which was broadcasted Sunday evening our time) at the mission home with President and
General Conference at the mission home. 
President Youngberg, Leo, Henrik, and Gabriel
Sister Youngberg as well as a few missionaries and investigators being taught. Henrik (now a member) brought Gabriel who I had also taught in Stockholm, and Leo (the guy that called us at the beginning of the transfer wanting to be baptized) was there with the other elders. It was a tender mercy of the Lord and an incredibly special occasion for me to see several of the people I care most about here in Sweden all gathered in one place to watch General Conference together.

As I had the opportunity to talk with Henrik at dinner, I asked him what difference the gospel has made in his life. He didn't know where to start, but then mentioned that the Atonement of Jesus Christ has made a difference greater than can be described. It has given him not only the desire, but also the ability to change and to see his weaknesses made strong through Christ. He also mentioned how many of his friends and people he meets seem to have everything by worldly standards, education, money, employment, a nice home, etc. and yet still feel like unhappy and that something more is missing in life. Henrik shared how he
Traveling home from 
General Conference with Leo
himself had found this, but that the gospel of Jesus Christ has given him the answers and helped him understand his purpose in life. It's made all the difference in the world, and he's not afraid to share it with all who ask him about the new light that's come into his life.

I add my testimony to Henriks in saying that the gospel of Jesus Christ contains the answers to our questions. The Lord has not only provided us a way to return to him, but also to experience the greatest joy along the way. Ours is the responsibility to follow the path he has laid before us and return to it when we have wandered off.